Friday 21 November 2014

London East End Galleries + The V&A

Hada Contemporary Gallery –> Chun Kyunwoo
This exhibition showcased a series of blurred portraits. The artist uses long exposure to capture a performance-driven process, simultaneously “recording the duration and building a relationship that helps unveil oneself”. He aims to make us question what we believe is “rational, logical and finite such as the concept of time through visual eloquence and clarity.”
IMG_2833 IMG_2830 IMG_2832
Wilkinson Galley –> Jewyo Rhii
This exhibition showed a variety of artforms, but the ones that grabbed my attention the most were the ones that involved melting ice. Both these piece were titled ‘Cooling System’ and show the transformation of ice melting.
IMG_2844 IMG_2839
The V&A –> Disobedient Objects
I absolutely loved this exhibition because many of the pieces are rebellious and demonstrate political activism, and this reminded me of my admiration for the Punk scene / subculture. Disobedient objects “examines the powerful role of objects in movements for social change’. My favourite piece from this exhibition was the ‘Tiki Love Truck’. The customised truck is a way of speading the work about the injustice of the death penalty; the truck displays a death mask of the artists’ friend who received the death sentence for killing a cab driver.
IMG_2887 IMG_2896 IMG_2897 IMG_2898 IMG_2877 IMG_2879 IMG_2884
(Sorry about the quality of the pictures – I had to use my ipod since I left my camera at home >_<)

No comments:

Post a Comment